The Outer Wilds: Echos of the Eye DLC doesn't offer many clues when you first enter the strange Otherworld via the Hall of Fire ritual. The immense, inky darkness doesn't help much – and learning exactly how to navigate these areas can be a nightmare, especially when you're scared. There's a place that promises clues for all three areas of the Otherworld, so if you're incredibly stuck in the Outlander, this is one area you need to check out.
The Abandoned Temple is located in the Hidden Gorge, which is accessed by taking the right fork (on the rightmost path) through the canyons beyond the Cinder Islands. Once you arrive at the village built into the canyon walls, you can take the cave path to reach the Abandoned Temple. You'll likely find the temple abandoned much sooner - if you take the 'normal' path through the canyons, you'll reach a giant rotten bridge that leads directly to it. But, the only real method to reach the temple is through the Hidden Gorge cavern.
Inside the abandoned temple you will find one of two keypad locks. The other keypad lock is located in the tank. If you want to know how to get both codes, here's what you need to know.
More Outer Wilds guides:
Echos of the Eye: How to Find the Stranger | Walkthrough 1 | Echos of the Eye: How to Travel to the Hidden World | Walkthrough 2 | Echoes of the Eye: How to Reach the Three Forbidden Archives | Walkthrough 3 | Echoes of the Eye: How to Unlock the Sealed Vault | Walkthrough 4 | How To Reach The Secret Quantum Moon | How to Reach the Eye of the Universe | True Ending Guide
How To Get Abandoned Temple Code | Puzzle Solutions Guide
To find the code for the Forsaken Temple, you must first discover a hidden bedroom located in the tower of the island. It is one of the most obscure secret rooms in the DLC.
- How to find the island tower code storage room:
- Trip to Island Tour Ash Islands foreign domain.
- Take the underpass (rock cave in the water) to reach the hidden entrance to the Island Tour. The staircase leads to a room with a fresco of the Island Tour and a ringed planet. Just take note of this piece.
- Collect a Artifact and use the Island Tour green light to travel to the Other World. (Get an artifact in the Ghost Matter house, then remove the lanterns from the Ringed Planet mural in the main hall of the island tower. Sit in front of the green light.)
- In the starry cove, enter the main area and go left, then take the first left to a rocky cliff with a porthole. Focus your Artifact Light on the device to make a boathouse appear next to the island tower.
- Go to boathouse and use the bridge to reach the lower entrance of the island tower. Head up the stairs to the same room as the Island Tower/Ringed Planet wall piece.
- In this room, extinguish the four candles.
Leave the Otherworld and return to this room of the Stranger. A secret passage will now be unlocked. At the bottom, you'll find two codes - one for the Spaceship Room in the Reservoir and one for the Slide Reel Temple in the Hidden Gorge.
- Travel to Hidden Gorge (enter the rightmost canyon after Cinder Islands and stay right at the fork), then enter Ghost Matter Cave to reach Slide Reel Temple.
Opening the Lock of the Abandoned Temple: Enter the code (Right Sliver Moon, Ringed Planet, Right Sliver Moon, Twinkle, Twinkle) into the device on the upper level. This summons an elevator hidden behind a door on the third level.
- Inside of Slide Coil Temple secret room, there are three cards. Place a Lantern on each to reveal a hidden Slide Reel marker in Cinder Islands, Hidden Gorge, and River Lowlands.
- There is also a Slide Reel here that you can take.