Several games come together. Order?
See Nintendo, this is how you celebrate the 35th anniversary of a franchise.
Square Enix hosted a live stream earlier tonight to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the Dragon Quest franchise, and mate, it didn't disappoint. Six games and updates were announced during the stream, including confirmation of the next entry in the main series. Below, I've summarized everything announced in the stream.
- The next numbered entry in the series will be Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate. DQXII will make changes to the traditional turn-based combat system. It's unclear what those changes will be, but Yuji Horii said the command function will still be part of the game, and the development team is currently working with a few prototypes. No release date or platform was named, but it was stated that Square Enix is aiming for a simultaneous worldwide release.
- Dragon Quest X will be updated to Ver. 6 this year. Still no plans for a worldwide release. Specifically, during the stream, there are no plans to release the game outside of Japan.
- Dragon Quest X Offline has been announced and will feature a completely different visual style than the MMO. Can play solo. Aims to release in 2022 in Japan. No platform has been mentioned nor has it been confirmed for a global release.
- Dragon Quest Treasures is a new series spin-off from the team behind Dragon Quest Monsters. It will feature Erik and Mia as children. The main themes of the game are "childhood" and "treasure". It's a 3D RPG, but not a traditional one. No platform was mentioned, but aiming for a simultaneous worldwide release.
- Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake is a remake of Dragon Quest III from the folks behind Octopath Traveler and Various Daylife. Worldwide release on consoles. No release date yet. Remakes of Dragon Quest I and Dragon Quest II have also been mentioned.
- Dragon Quest Keshikeshi is a match-three puzzler for mobile this year. Monsters in the series have been transformed into tiny erasers that you line up to erase images. Will be free.
- A new entry in the Dragon Quest Monsters series is also planned, but it was not shown during the live stream.